The IT department had stored payment histories in an Acrobat format which they could not retrieve as data. The Federal Government required adjustments to all accounts and we were facing a fine of $100M if the adjustments were not made. I analyzed the structure of the files and was able to retrieve the data, providing an adjustment file in text format. The IT department used this to adjust the main computer, averting the fine.
The mainframe system was unable to produce an arrest warrant suitable to the needs of 21 elected sheriffs and 15 head judges. This resulted in laborious hand-typing. I created a VB6 - MS Word system to allow one-time option entry, allowing clerks to enter the ID number and interface with the mainframe to produce suitable warrants for each locale. The time to generate warrants dropped from 5 minutes to 10 seconds each.
Supervision Services runs on 1970's style terminal emulators as well as reports. To allow better caseload management, fields were specified for a juvenile report and I created an Excel VBA system to present the data in modern, filterable, and sortable manners for each office. Data is also stored in an Access database for central office research. The project was complete in 2017 and is now entering a second phase to include adult offender data as well, due to the proven ability for better caseload management.
When I first started at Dezine, I was assigned to debug code that had previously been released. I was told that it was a six-month queue (and growing) based on the time it took previous developers to clear that many bugs. I was able to clear the "six-month" queue in two months, including all bugs that had emerged in those two months.
The Federal Department of Health and Human Services issued new schemas for Medicare billing - four different ones, each covering roughly a quarter of the US. Following their lead, many major insurance companies and state Medicaid department also changed their schemas. I was given the role of Lead Programmer with two direct reports, and took the duty of coding the actual schemas in Windows assembler language myself. Our team met the deadline for all insurers, keeping our current customers extremely satisfied and on-boarding some new customers as well.
The NJ Division of Public Welfare issued systems instructions to users which were incomprehensible to the target audience. I stopped distribution of the originals within the Vicinage and wrote understandable, useful directives. Other Vicinages found out about it and by the time I left this position, I was faxing my rewrites to the 20 other field offices statewide!
Transitioning the office from a mainly paper-based system to a computer-based system was difficult for long-term workers. Once the office was able to get some personal computers, I was able to script routine tasks with an emulator, and produce specialized reports and interfaces as well - lessening worker keystrokes while enabling them to get more tasks accomplished.
Although my role in the Vicinage was primarily Probation Child Support, I occasionally worked on other areas of Probation as well. The State introduced a program to collect more fines due, but did not have a system to help with it. I wrote a Windows-based system with ETL from the county computer as well as State employment and unemployment records to track payments, schedule court dates, issue summonses, and produce reports that Probation Officers could present to the Court. This put Monmouth in the lead for success with this initiative.